Utah is getting cold, so we’re taking you back to Northern California and the Sacramento Valley Foothills for this next release. Mr. Goodbar is, you guessed it, a sandbar! But it’s not only that; this spot is incredibly versatile and perfect for anything from proper STOL aircraft to float planes and yes…even helicopters! 42BC Bush Plane Campout is about 10 miles away and is an ideal starting point for group flights to Mr. Goodbar.
When building these scenes, small details are critical. If you load into this location in the default sim, you’ll quickly see all the work it took to make it feel alive and all you’d be missing. Get down near the ground, and explore by drone; it just feels natural. We need these environments to accurately recreate what brings pilots there IRL. Think of it like photoshop work; great artistry may often be what you don’t notice.
Mr. Goodbar was created by Photosbykev, the newest member of our Scene Team, who also happens to be a long-time developer of bush strips in MSFS. I’m incredibly delighted to see how well he’s integrated into our team and kicked out a beautiful sandbar location. As a creative, I come up with some fantastic ideas and concepts, but that’s only half the battle; without someone to bring those to the sim. As the team grows, expect to see more of those ideas materialize.
Our scenes are challenging strips with immaculate vibes; whether it feels remote or cozy will depend on each scene. They are also perfect places to play with //42 Campout as they were designed with plenty of plane camping space.
42MG Mr. Goodbar
Located in Tehama County, California, about 10 miles from 42BC Bush Plane Campout. Mr. Goodbar is a tasty and satisfying destination for any bush pilot hungry for adventure.
Ideal for STOL aircraft, helicopters, floatplanes & boats, the small sandbar on the Sacramento River has a tricky approach at the South end over water. A floating dock has been brought on-site for float planes and watercraft; it is fully collidable and landable.
Want to fly in with something a bit bigger? There’s an alternate strip as well near the campsite. From snow-capped mountains in the winter to beautiful plains in the summer, the north end of the Sacramento Valley Foothills is a beautiful place to explore. Welcome to Mr. Goodbar.
- Runways: 360ft sandbar, 1042ft dirt strip, no maintenance.
- Approach Considerations: Recommend inspection pass. For final approach, follow the river bend and aim for ~200ft alt over the abandoned boat off left wing. Sandbar landings from the south only, wind permitting. DO NOT attempt north to south on the sandbar.
- Amenities: Campgrounds, fishing, dock & skinny-dipping.
- Windsock: Portable windsock near the land bridge
- Parking: Ample
- Services: no restrooms, no drinking water, no weather info, no lights, no fuel. Cell service limited.
- Multiple runway objects and hazards contain collision boxes.
- Challenging approach onto a short and narrow sandbar.
- Custom terraforming to allow smooth transitions for water skimming landings onto the sandbar or for float planes to drive onto land.
- Custom vegetation assets.
- Custom 3D library of on-ground assets
- Custom stone fire rings sized specifically for //42 Campout Utility campfires.
- Ideally located for Northern California Backcountry bush trip adventures.
- Beware of stolen chicken on site, someone flew him in, and he’s never left.
Follow //42 news & musings via our official & social media channels!
Interested in group flights? You’ll often find the //42 team flying in “STOL Club” on TheSkyLounge.TV *.
- Once you cross into The Lounge, you’ll be interacting with us in a non-official capacity. We ask that you please not chase us down with support requests and understand that any comments made there are not representative of official statements on behalf of //42.